Include a Sauna in Your Backyard Retreat
With the official spring season here, now is the time to start planning your backyard retreat. A retreat you can escape to from busy life and just be present; relaxing and enjoying company with family and friends. A place to be care-free and enjoy the beautiful outdoors and nature without leaving your home.
Below are some ideas for you to start thinking about how you can add a slice of paradise in your own backyard:
1. WHETHER BIG OR SMALL YARD- INSTALL AN OUTDOOR SAUNA – Backyard living can be greatly enhanced with an outdoor sauna. With an outdoor sauna, you will be able to enjoy your backyard not only in the spring and summer, but in the fall and winter too. It’s an all-year enjoyment everyone can appreciate.
Regardless of the size of your yard, or whether you’re located in the city or country, you can certainly strategically fit an outdoor sauna in your space. Gold Medal Olympian, Gwen Jorgensen, recently installed a Finnleo Euro Patio outdoor sauna in an unused garden bed in her backyard. “That area of our backyard gets no sunlight so we haven’t been able to grow anything successfully in that spot; now the view from within the sauna looks out to a beautiful Sequoia tree. To be able to look out and see that massive tree makes me smile every time I’m inside my sauna,” commented Gwen.
Gold Medal Olympian, Gwen Jorgensen, recently installed a Finnleo Euro Patio in their backyard. They are thoroughly enjoying their quality family time spent in the sauna!
2. ADD WATER FOR SAUNA & SWIM – Sauna and Swim is the ultimate backyard experience. Consider adding an outdoor sauna to a nearby pool or hot tub. When you have a sauna located near water, you will get an early start to the swim season. When the water is cooler in the non-summer months, sauna bathing prior to a swim will make the water feel more enjoyable and provide a true hot/cold therapy session. Enjoying the deep, gentle heat of the sauna followed by a cold-water plunge, is a therapeutic and enjoyable experience for all ages. Having an outdoor sauna will greatly enhance your water experience!
Finnleo Patio outdoor sauna. Finnleo Dealer: Open Spray Hot Tubs & Saunas (New York).
3. DEVELOP PRIVACY – For the ultimate backyard escape, it is nice to have privacy so you can feel totally at ease. Define your outdoor area and block unwanted views by adding fences, a pergola, or trees and layered plants to make a natural hedge.
Trees and privacy fences give privacy around the backyard wellness area.
Finnleo Dealer: Mountain Hot Tub (Bozeman, CO).Photography: Allan Hathaway Photography.
4. LANDSCAPE – Add plants, shrubs and/or trees to your backyard to make a natural inviting place to spend time for relaxation. Mix in different heights of plants to create layers and texture for a visually appealing scene. Low growing ferns and hostas are ideal plants for the shade and can create a nice borderline to areas as well. For natural privacy hedges, consider Arborvitae or Privet. If lack of space hinders you from landscaping, consider adding a planter outside of your sauna for a touch of nature, such as a large green fern or a mix of assorted annuals for a pop of color.
Finnleo Metro outdoor sauna tucked in a backyard with a beautiful nature scene: assortment of hostas, evergreens and geraniums for a splash of color.
5. INCLUDE OUTDOOR SEATING – Consider having seating nearby the outdoor sauna for multiple purposes. Patio furniture can be used for entertainment, relaxing and serving outdoor meals. Seating near the sauna can also be used for post-sauna cool-down. If nighttime has fallen, your warm body will appreciate the cool air while taking in the sounds of the evening.
Finnleo Euro Patio outdoor sauna tucked underneath a deck. Endless outdoor entertainment is provided with this backyard arrangement: the sauna, large patio,
outdoor furniture, and a pool steps away (not pictured). Family fun for all!
There are 113 days until the first day of summer (but who’s counting?!). Start planning your own backyard escape by using some of these ideas and you soon will be enjoying a beautiful place for entertainment, personal and family healthy living and much needed R&R—all at your home!
Originally posted on March 20th, 2021 on the Finnleo Saunas Blog by the Finnleo Saunas Brand team